Friday, August 21, 2009

Gorging myself with Cailler Chocolates

One of the advantages of living in Bulle is that there are so many dairy based gastronomic delights nearby. My friend Xy and I decided to take a stroll through the Bouleyres Forest to get to Broc, home of Nestle's La Maison de Cailler. One of the most pleasant surprises was peeking into someone's farm to find Gruyeres Castle and parachuters!

Louis Cailler first brought back chocolate from Italy with the purpose of wanting to make it accessible for the everyday person. in 1898, the Cailler chocolate factory opened in Broc- chosen for its dairy rich location.

Cailler is one of the only chocolatiers in Switzerland that uses real milk as opposed to powdered milk which gives its smooth (and calorie rich) taste and texture.

The factory, now commercialized for tourism is highly interactive with videos, displays, raw product tastings and chocolate scents. It was very informative and great if you have children (or still a kid at heart like I am).

The best part of the tour is.. the chocolate tasting. Here is your warning: DO NOT EAT EVERY PIECE OF CHOCOLATE THEY PUT IN FRONT OF YOU. There- I said it. Somehow I lost all self control in the presence of all that chocolate (At least I admit it!).
They start you off nice and slow with their basic chocolates that can be found in every grocery store... then move into some other more basic- every day chocolates..
Then they move you into their medium end chocolates.
Lastly, they move you into their petite fours and fancier chocolates. I couldn't help myself to all the dark chocolate.. it really was delicious.. but by the last time the last piece went down.. reality of what I just did to myself set in.. and the tummy ache ensued.

If ever in the Fribourg region, La Maison Cailler is a must. Not only do you get to see super cool vintage chocolate molds, vintage factory photos, original machinery and much much more, you also get free chocolate! Just don't be like me and forget your self restraint at home...

Rue Jules Belelt 7
1636 Broc
Tel: 41 (0)269215151
Hours:9:30am - 4Pm January through October 31st

No comments :