Thursday, September 17, 2009

Swiss Cheese: Emmentaler


Swiss Cheese- we all know it. Holey cheese that you use to catch those little pesky mice running around the house. In the land of Cheese, Emmentaler is possibly the most boring cheese I now know in my repetoire of Swiss cheeses. I don't mean to diss the cheese but it really is well.. bland and boring.
Alright, so now that I've disclosed how I REALLY feel about the cheese let's get it over with Qui?
Fun Facts on Emmentaler Cheese:
Origin: 180 cheese makers in the Emme valley (around bern)
Made from: Cow milk exclusively fed on natural feed
Special Distinctions: AOC only if given 18 out of 20 rating points
Special Visual Characteristics: Holes!
Aging Period: 120 days
Fat Content: 31g per 100g
Production : Pressed in cheese wheels for about 20 hours then immersed in brine for 2 days. Kept in brine cellar at 12-16C for 20 days then into the fermentation celler at 19-24C for 6-8 weeks. Warmth of cellar starts the fermentation process. Carbon dioxide gas is created and when unable to escape, makes the holes.
Served with: blended with gruyere cheese for fondue, fruit and cheese

Yup, that's all I got for you..Sorry!

No comments :