Monday, May 12, 2008

Eclairs and Napoleans


On thursday, we concluded our first week of baking and pastry. This event cumulated to us making chocolate glazed eclairs, cream puff swans and napoleans.

Although I love making pastries, my OCD tendencies leads me to think that I can not deal with my hands constantly being sticky. I think I washed my hands 5-6 times in a 10 minute window... or pretty much anytime my hand touched the custard filling. Plating desserts is easier in my opinion then plating savory foods as you get to bend the plating rules ever so slightly- you can have more sauce, you can have lines on the rim, you don't have to follow 10-4 and back around rules. There is more artistic room with the pastries then slices of meat.

My favorite task of the night was all the chocolate work that we got to play with. Who knew that a piece of acetate could do so much! Gotta practice those chocolate cigars...

No comments :