Wednesday, January 29, 2014

DIY lace & sheet music bunting and card box (Easy!)

I had mentioned before that now that I've settled in (and no longer have a 2 hour commute in one direction to work), I've taken up crafting again.  My husband and I had already had our civil marriage but finally, FINALLY!, we were going to have our wedding celebration which gave me a reason to start crafting again.

We had discussed (prior to finding a venue and all of that other wedding planning jazz) that our theme would be "vintage" or in French "retro". I know that seems super broad but the background is this -   Whenever I get the chance here in Europe to go to some antiquey store or market while I'm travelling, I'll go. I'm a sucker for cameras and gramophones.   What we love about antiques is that each peace we pick up has a story to tell. Sometimes a name written inside the box, sometimes scratches or missing buttons. We knew we wanted to use these objects that we love collecting to tell the story about us.

Both my husband and I studied music when we were young- so using the vintage theme, I had already decided that we would use a lot of sheet music to decorate our wedding. Nowadays, I have a cricut machine, but back then, as we were saving every penny for the wedding, I had to cut everything out by hand. The cricut which probably would have saved me a lot of time but I can't say that I regret putting in all that work (everything I did had to be in two languages - French and English).  The cricut limits you to using what they can sell you on their cartridges which means that the font (the same font on our logo and invitations)that I wanted to use for the bunting would not exist on the cricut.  I had cut out a cardboard template to make sure the triangles would be uniform.  I then glued the cut out letters onto the bunting and used twine to sew them together (by hand).  For those of you who aren't as worried to that detail, you can just as easily pass the bunting through a sewing machine.

All below professional pics courtesy of our amazing photographer Blanc Coco.
 
©Blanc Coco Photographe
For the card box, Karen (a friend of my mother in law) took two shoe boxes (pick nice sturdy ones) and cut a hole in the bottom of the smaller box and a larger hole in the lid of the bottom box. She covered the boxes with sheet music and glued the boxes together.  Don't forget to make a large slit in the lid of the smaller box so people can put cards in!  She embellished ribbon and lace that we found up in the attic. Keep a watch out for future posts on the fabric flowers used on our card box.
©Blanc Coco Photographe
We finished the card suitcase with scraps of fabric from the grenier (attic) and peonies
©Blanc Coco Photographe
Our wedding logo was the Master's Voice logo with a cat replacing the dog.
 For the main dining salon, I alternated sheet music and lace triangles and sewed the bunting together by hand with twine.  Since the lace was quite course, I cut the lace an extra inch longer on the top to make a lip by which I could more securely sew the twine through. 
©Blanc Coco Photographe
The bunting was very effective in achieving a playful but relaxed and "tres francais" feeling.  The cost of the bunting was next to nothing as the materials were things found up in the attic collecting dust. I spent hours sewing together the bunting by hand but it was worth it!


Addresses:
Blanc Coco Photographe 
blancoco@gmail.com



No comments :