Tuesday, May 26, 2009

It's Voodoo baby


I had the pleasure of taking a short trip up to Portland Oregon to visit one of my best friends and his soon to be beautiful wife. After a little researching, one of my co workers scrounged up a list of must go- Portland favorites for me to visit. On the list was Voodoo Doughnuts. Donuts? did someone say Donuts? I of course, put this on the top of my list (first was Le Pigeon where Gabe Rucker was shortlisted for th James Beard Award- Rising New Chef).
Our first stop was the 3rd street store. We were greeted by the sweet scent of glazed doughuts and a sign hanging on the door indicated that sadly, they were closed for fryer repairs. But alas! there as a solution, the NE Davis store was open! We scrambled into the car, drove over the bridge and were greated by a funky, refurbished diner with mis matching chairs and chotchskies- Voodoo Style. Walking in, I was overwhelmed by the menu.Unsure about the $5.00 bucket, we later found out that they were "a day old" meaning they were made a few hours ago but had fresh one rolling out. The whole bucket was for $5.00. funnily enough, they loaded up another $5.00 bucked from the donuts that we paid full price from about 2 minutes after we bought them.... Shoulda, woulda, coulda.
I finally settled on a bacon, maple glazed bar. I knew that the combination wouldn't disappoint but would the donut itself hold up to Stan's? being that it wasn't fresh out of the fryer, I knew that Voodoo already had a disadvantage. I gobbled down the donut- the bacon and maple glazed saved the donut itself. The bacon and maple glazed worked wonderfully together and was everything I expected it to taste like.
This gal ordered the "texas" donut- its bigger then her head. She finished it in about 3 minutes. I wonder if she could eat her head in 3 minutes...

Voodoo Donuts is fun- eclectic and holds it's own charm. Definitely worth a trip even for just one funky donut if you happen to be in the area.

Vood Donuts:
22 SW 3rd Avenue,
Portland, Oregon 97204
open 24 hours ( except for when the fryer needs to be replaced)

1501 NE Davis
Portland, Oregon 97232
closed 3am to 6 am

No comments :