Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Kogi Truck FAIL


My brother and I made a quick trip down to LA to visit an old college buddy of his. With all the hype around the Kogi Truck, we knew we had to track it down.
After subscribing to their twitter feed, it was off to Korea town we went to find the truck. We arrived to find a 30 minute line and a photo shoot (I'm told the girls are twins and use to be christian singers????)

The smell of sweet korean bbq enticed our bellies- hopefully the food was going to stand up to the smell.
Nervous with anticipation, we finally reached the front of the line, carefully selecting different items from menu to ensure that we got to try everything.
I opted for the Korean Short Rib Tacos and the Kimchee Hot Dog.
Even though there was an $11 minimum, I somehow exceeded it- as an after thought only because the guy added an extra dollar onto all of our tabs. Tax? I'm not sure but with a huge line behind us, we didn't want to test the disgruntled hungry people behind us by arguing over a buck.
We all agreed that the best thing we had was the kimchee quesadilla
The hot dog was un-impressive. The dog itself was soft, tasteless and didn't work well with the bun or the kimchee that smothered it. I had a bite and somehow convinced my brother that he wanted the rest of it. I had a sudden craving for a costco $1.50 dog- at least that is always a sure bet.
the sliders were alright. A little on the mushy side with the kimchee overpowering and meat taste that one would hope to achieve with a slider.
the taco meat was tough and cold. I could see this being a good taco had the meat been straight off the grill and not sitting in a bus tub for the last god knows how long.
Overall, we were quite dissapointed with the entire meal. It wasn't cheap either,somehow our bill totaled $44. Perhaps we were to hyped up and our expectations were thus too high.
I've heard from other co-workers that before the whole Kogi scene erupted, the food actually was quite good. Recently when they have revisited the truck, the food quality in their opinion has diminished. I could easily agree with the comment that if the food quality was higher- the food might actually be good.
Let's hope that they head back in that direction- let's hope that the owners realize that if it's not about the food then they soon won't have any followers on twitter...

No comments :