Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The most amazing thing I've ever eaten.. EVER.


As I have become obsessed with finding the perfect Donut, it shouldn't come as a surprise that the best thing I've ever eaten in my entire life is a.. Donut!

Stan's Donut is located off of Homestead and San Tomas Expressway in San Clara, California. It all started when my brother and his fiance were going to come down and visit me for a quick breakfast. I yelped Donut shops and found.. Stan's! After consulting my executive chef (whose eyes lit up like a kid in a candy shop when I mentioned thinking about going to Stan's), I knew I found the right place to go get these delectable morning treats. I also knew that I had to wake up bright and early in the morning to get a fresh, just fried morsel.
I drove by the plaza 3 times before finding the tucked away shop. Pulling up at 7am, I saw the old Donut master, dressed as he does everyday in all white, with a white cap at his work bench through the window.
The smell of fried goodness covered in a crispy thin sweet coating of sugar wafted through the air as I got out of my car. I opened the door to the store and the smell hit me like a brick wall. Instantly my mouth began to water. Beautiful, fluffy piles of yeast dough rest on his work bench as he punched out buttermilk donuts. Looking at how elastic the dough was, I could see that these were going to be really fluffy donuts.. but would it be a pocket of air or real fluffiness?

I patiently waited as a batch of yeast Donuts were just being turned over to finish frying. I sat down at the counter and ordered a hot chocolate. The fried beauties came out of the fryer and onto the glazing station. A minute to cool and a quick glaze and the Donuts were ready to go. A piping hot Donut was placed in front of me. I quickly ripped into the Donut and found.. Heaven.
The Donut was so crisp on the outside by so fluffy in the middle. Steam billowed out of the donut as the soft, cotton candy like dough melted in my mouth. It was bliss. I instantly took another piece and and let it melt in my mouth.
I understood. I understood why when I asked JP if anything else in San Francisco was a must go eat like Stan's Donut's were and he said no. This was more then amazing. This was the best thing I've ever eaten. I bought a dozen more.

I have a confession. I bought a dozen +1. I had to have another in the car on the way home..Shhh don't tell anyone!!!

The best Donut EVER:
Stan's Donut
2628 Homestead Rd
Santa Clara, CA 95051, United States
Hours are 6am to 3pm.

Get there early. Chocolate donuts can be called in and ordered ahead of time. You will never see them sitting out on the rack. Expect to wait for yeast donuts. It is worth it it wait 15 minutes for a fresh batch up just fried donuts- I promise your expectations will not be failed.

*sigh* I want Stan's now!!!

No comments :